The HP-UX Itanium and AIX (PPC64) ports of Oracle Database 11g Release 2 can now be downloaded from OTN. Happy Holidays!!!
In catching up on blog posts I see that Jonathan Lewis, Christian Antognini and Nuno Souto picked up on the deferred segment creation new feature in Oracle 11gR2. In keeping with the theme, I thought I’d put together the top 10 new features in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2) that I consider significant.
- Analytic Functions 2.0
- Recursive WITH Clause
- Preprocessing Data for ORACLE_LOADER Access Driver in External Tables
- In-Memory Parallel Execution
- Auto Degree of Parallelism (Auto DOP) and Parallel Statement Queuing
- Significant Performance Improvement of MV On-Commit Fast Refresh
- Database Resource Manager Instance Caging
- ASM Intelligent Data Placement
- Database File System (DBFS)
- Hybrid Columnar Compression
In future posts I’ll dive into some of these in more technical detail but for now I thought I’d throw my list out there to raise awareness of the things I am looking at as a database performance engineer.